On my Instagram, I wrote the following meme: This was in reaction to the message I kept seeing that said (paraphrase) you can still have a very close friendship when you catch up with each other every month or every few months and it will be like you haven't missed a thing. Two of my … Continue reading Quality Time: Role of Friends
Photo credit: Pixabay.com; Artist: Concord90 Happy Valentine's Day to all the lovers or people who will be trying to fill their mandatory romance quota for the year - from yours truly, a terminally single woman V-day had never packed much fanfare for me. I am not sure why it never really caught on. I guess … Continue reading V-Day
I posted the poem below on my Poems and Short Story blog but I thought I would reblog it here to talk about a few things.
1. For men, giving their bodies in sex or sexual related activities does not always have the same deep meaning as it does to women.
2. For women, if we haven’t given ourselves to someone who is the right guy, in the right relationship, for the right reasons, then we feel shame and can struggle with guilt.
3. Christianity emphasizes the idea of virginity and ‘purity’ for women but not at all for men. There are not many men who feel the need to become a born-again virgin because their sexual history is praised but for women it is the opposite. We have to constantly atone for our sexual behaviors.
4. As women, we do have to be mindful of our sexual behavior because it affects our self-image and self-esteem due to society’s pressure and views of women and sex. A guy can be a stud with many women but a woman is a slut with less than a handful of partners.
5. Women are taught that sex should always be coupled with marriage or a long term relationship and love. Men are told that sex is an important part of their masculinity and a needed commodity so, they should strive for it from women whether there is an emotional connection or not.
6. The messages about men and women’s bodies and sex are the polar opposite. While for men, the act is something to be proud of because it gives experience, but for women, its shameful because we are too free and we are not showing respect for ourselves.
7. The Bible is a Christian’s playbook and there is no disputing that it frowns upon sex before marriage. If we all followed that guideline, then everyone’s first sexual experience would be after the “I do” and then you figure out the mechanics from there.
8. However, that is not always the case for the majority. For women, the rules will always be more strict, whether we like it or not, we have internalized those rules and we still have to be mindful because sex for us is tightly linked to our emotions.
My body is a wonderland
not given to any man freely
It wasn’t made for high speed traffic
periodic or random visits
nor a ride at Disneyland
designed for your selfish pleasure
It was meant to be handled delicately
like the rarest treasure discovered
Peel away the layers
it houses the heart of its existence
more priceless than any metal
Pardon my foolish oversight
in letting down my boundaries
It’s all back in good order
If you want full exclusive access
then prove you can pay the price in full
with all that God intended
While sitting at the table of life, Jesus came to take your order. You put away the menu and went off the cuff "could I have a order of toxic relationship please and make it extra spicy so I feel the burn for a long time." Some people were born into toxic situations (you know … Continue reading An Order of Toxic Please
The truth requires a look into the darkest depths of our souls. It requires us to be raw and to lower the barriers in order to reveal the slow decay within.
The new year incites dreams of motivation, grandeur, and wild possibilities.
I have decided that this year I am doing Christmas as a solo. I will call family and wish them a Merry Christmas from the warmth and comfort of my home. I will be lounging around, dancing around, sipping wine starting at an appropriate hour of course, with Christmas carols playing from my cell phone … Continue reading Christmas For One
I was going through my blog reading list and came across a post that resonated with me. BeautyBeyondBones talked about looking within yourself to see what needs to be fixed or cleaned. It hit me that I have some areas that need a little overhaul. The other day I was speaking with a friend who … Continue reading Soul Cleaning
What are you willing to do to get your hopes, dream or desires?I know that the running punchline is the millennials are the lazy and entitled generation - the now, the me, the safe space generation; however, we all have a little bit of that when it comes to making hard decisions. Photo credit: Pixabay.com … Continue reading What’s Your Sacrifice?
As a child, I grew up with family all around. I had to seek out my quiet space to do my soulful scribbling or childish artistry. It was such a sense of peace to have those stolen moments. I was at work the other day and it was just one other person and myself on … Continue reading What Scares You About You